In UK around 9.5 million tonnes of food is wasted every year and 70% of this food waste comes from households despite the high levels of food poverty in the country.
Getting uninterrupted reliable source of nutrition is essential for both our physical and mental wellbeing and events such as the war in Ukraine threatens the global food supply and so it is very essential we all take part in reducing food waste which helps with the effect of climate change.
Some ways to reduce food waste at home include:
- Only buy what you need at a time.
- Make a list of your regular shopping.
- Check use-by dates of fresh foods.
- Plan ahead what your family will use.
- Store food correctly.
- Use your freezer.
- Keep your serving size within healthy range.
- Pack your lunch.
- Blend leftovers into a nutritious smoothie.
- Compost leftovers if you can.
- Do your best for yourself and your family.